September 23, 2009

Osprey and a Great blue Heron




While I was working at Willets Point this afternoon I spotted two Osprey hunting for fish at the south end of Flushing Bay. I came back a few hours later with my camera to search for the Osprey and whatever else might be living around the World's Fair Marina. I haven't been to the Marina in many years. It can be a difficult place to get to and navigate. It's surrounded by highways, parkways, expressways, and the Iron Triangle (Auto Shops), and not to mention the extremely noisy takeoffs and landings of planes from Laguardia Airport. It seems like quite an inhospitable place, but the birds seem to like it. In the hour I spent there, I saw several species of Gulls (Lesser Black-backed Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull), a Great Blue Heron (juvenile), a pair of Mute Swans, and a pair of Osprey, and several other species of shorebirds I couldn't identify or photograph (sun goes down to early now).

No comments: