September 14, 2010

General Upates

Sorry for the lack of updates the last few weeks. My free time has been limited lately and computer + camera problems have plagued me lately as well. I have kept up with with some of the Hawks in Queens, so I have a few updates:

Astoria Park: The Astoria Park pair, Atlas and Andromeda, are doing fine and their two fledglings, who I believe could both be female based on their size, are doing fine as well. They are off on their own most of the time now with the parents checking in on them every now and then.

The first two pictures are fledgling #1, the third picture fledgling #2.

Flushing Meadow Park: The last time I visited Flushing Meadow  I was able to locate Bobby, Cathy and the first eyass to fledge, Sadie. Nicholas disappeared shortly after being released, and Christopher was feeding on his own, so he may have headed off to find his own territory.

Woodside Pair: One of the Woodside pair, Harry or Sally, was in need of rescue yesterday morning after showing signs of being poisoned. I'm not 100% sure which of the pair is sick. A local hawkwatcher told me it was the female, Sally, that is ill, but based on photographs I took, I believe it is Harry that is ill. He was very weak, unable to fly more than a few feet off the ground, and he didn't attempt to retreat when approached by humans. He was seen struggling with a live mouse that was stuck to a glue trap that a local tenant had tossed out their window last Saturday, so toxins in the glue could be the reason for his illness. He is now in the hands of Rehabilitators Bobby and Cathy Horvath. Cathy retrieved the hawk and immediately treated him for either glue or rodenticide poisoning by administering a charcoal based solution that will absorb any toxins in the hawks organs. I'll keep updating his condition as often as possible, and hopefully he will have a speedy recovery. To see pictures of Harry and the mouse trap incident, you can check out Lincoln Karim's website here.

No comments: